Friday, March 8, 2013

The Artist's Suicide Club

The Artist's Suicide Club
(A small apartment is the scene of a recent death. The body is covered and taken out on a stretcher as the occupant, a man named Gerald, speaks with police.)

Gerald: He's the third person with talent I know who ended up killing himself. Makes me wish I didn't have talent.

Officer: You're an artist, too?

Gerald: I'm not an artist until the industry says I'm an artist - even if they already cashed in most of my life-work and made stars out non-artists with it.

Officer: But they can't decide who has talent and who doesn't. Only God can do that.

Gerald: The industry thinks it's greater than God. They have a stronger hold on the minds of the population.

Officer: Can't you release your music independently? What about itunes?

Gerald: The industry blocks out all my views. The only way I could make money on the internet is if I left the country and opened up an account somewhere far away. But I can't afford the ticket. And I'd only be guessing where to go.

Officer: Can't you work?

Gerald: I'm disabled now. No employment allowed. No decent reputation allowed.

Officer: So what are you going to do?

Gerald: Probably kill myself. My talent's just going to waste in this world.

Officer: Well, before you do anything too irreversible, take this card. It's a membership for the Artist's Suicide Club. Maybe you just need to get together with some other folks who've been down the same road you have.

Gerald: Great! I'd like to see them right away. Where can I meet them?

Officer: Just go down to the cemetery at midnight with your membership card and an open mind.
  
More Scripts Statements Songs
© 2007, 2013. Scripts by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment